Once I wake up and have my coffee, I proceed to investigate what had happened. The property has numerous large, and I mean large oak trees with an abundance of acorns too. I discovered there is one branch on the oak tree adjacent to the oldest storage building had one limb that was in bad shape. I suppose one of the storms that passed through from the last time I was up there had snapped this bad limb in half and the other half came down and punctured the roof. It's a dead limb, but it sure as hell is not rotten.
I grab dad's keys and open the door and the limb happened to puncture the roof just aft of the soffit, and when it fell through must have hit the top sill plate and bounced out and off the roof.
The repair consisted of pushing the still attached plywood back into place, with it being slightly wet from rain was easy to push back into place. I cut a 2x4 and used it as a brace under it with two nails through the rafter, and two nails toe nailed into the face of the other rafter. In past experiences with nailing through 40 + year old wood, it was quite difficult to do in a small space without bending the nail. I finally resorted to toe nailing it into both through the brace.
Once done, I climbed up on the roof and used some metal flashing to replace the shingle that was missing.
Once in place, using some roofing nails to secure the metal and remaining tabs of the nearby shingles, I commenced to using a whole tube of wet/dry roofing caulk to cover the nails and the metal flashing in a nice layer of gooey tar.
Once finished there were a few other things to do. My dad always worried about his fireplace, specifically the stove pipe. He told me for years that it needed to be replaced. I decided to take a gander up to the roof, visually inspect the stove pipe from the top down. I was really surprised at the condition it was in, it had some slight build up but not enough to sweep it. I pull the roof cap off and inspected the galvanized piping he had the stove pipe in and it still looked brand new. Well next test was to light a small fire, get it going good, then cut off most of the air to it and generate a lot of smoke. Once done, back on the roof, with the use of my 400 lumen flashlight, eyes, and nose, I observed no smoke, only from the end of the stove pipe. Only thing between the other two galvanized pipes was a bit of heat coming out from the stove pipe itself. Well seems to me that everything is ok.
With more time on my hands, his 1948 Farmall Cub tractor needed the fuel bowl gasket replaced. I make a quick call and find that my family friend had some, so I run over for a few minutes. Once back, took about 20 minutes to change it out, put some fresh gas in it and cranked it up. Ran like a champ. The next 2 hours were spent plowing the garden area up. My dad stopped having a garden about 4 years ago, he just couldn't manage it like he did in his older age. I have been down there before messing around but this time I went all out. I know it is not the prettiest tractor out there, but it has been mechanically sound and well taken care of.
Once done this is the view of the garden, the back right corner will be where I plan on putting a burm for a firing range. I got the word out that I will take any fill dirt locals are wanting to get rid of and our friend has two front loaders with backhoe's attached, shouldn't take to long to construct. Hey, when you have a 186 acre cattle farm, you can write a lot of equipment off.
Have a great week.