Sunday, June 26, 2016

The past two weeks, boy time flies when you having fun.

    Been a few weeks since I did a post, so I figured, its too hot to go sit outside tonight, the College World Series will start the final game tomorrow night with Coastal Carolina from Conway SC, will be taken on the Arizona Wildcats. It should be a good series as watching most of the games this year with the boys has been great. Its good to see a small school get to the final round. 

    I have been turning and burning up here moving all this red clay for the range improvements I have been wanting to do. I am proud to say I am almost done. I would be much happier when we finally get some rain so it can compact it down a bit. With that being said, our Corn has not done what we expected from the bounty-full crop we had last year of sweet corn in which we are still eating off of from the freezer. We switched varieties this year to the Silver King and I am not impressed. This weekend we will plant a few rows of Sweet corn with me installing drip irrigation on them. We have gotten a few bushels of green beans so far but after speaking with a regular at the farmers market, he has the same problem with a spring crop. The green beans seem to do much better in the late summer to early fall.

     A week ago Saturday, we took a drive to Charlotte to Hyatt's Gun and Coin. So for people who don't believe I went, well here is a picture just for you.


     I went there looking for an upper to finally complete an AR lower I have had in the safe for almost 3 years, like i need another one.Well they only had two and I was not about to pay $545 for a .22 lower. The 5.56 upper was much higher, but they were not cheap brands either. So as we were leaving, we grabbed a few bowling pins for the boys to shot at on the range, a real 50 cal ammo can for $12.99. We ran into the owner Mr. Hyatt and chatted with him a few mins about how business was going with the recent events taken place and he was quite pleased and I would have to agree with the crowd that was in there. After shaking his hand and going about our business,  I heard the voices in my ear, come here, come here. Well it was the knives calling me. As we were looking at all the knives, some ridiculously priced but of course they were hand made and there was my favorite brand, CRKT. I have had nothing but great things to say about them. They make a good product. So after looking at a few knives, I settled on this one, the

M21-14SFG - G10 Handle - Veff Serrations - Designed by Kit Carson



See, I did buy one
      If you would like more information about this knife click on the link to their website because I wasn't planning on doing a review on a pocket knife. I'm sure there are people out there that will.


     Yesterday, I went an picked up an upper that was shipped to me in a neighboring town. As we were out, we found out there was an estate sale  for some guns. Well of course we went. With NW's birthday a few days away, damn he will be 11, where has time gone. I located something that he love, since a .22LR was on his list. I found a Glenfield Marlin Model 60 .22LR rifle for $100.00 in excellent condition. The only difference between this one and the one my dad bought for me 39 years ago was this stock had no engravings on it. Well I looked at JUGM and she agreed, so I told him happy early birthday. Now not to leave ND out, I announced to him that the one his grand paw gave me is now officially his. He was ecstatic and very happy. 
     Now of course, there was something still on the rack that I am surprised nobody has swiped yet. It had all matching stampings and was in excellent shape and had a great price of $200.00

Norinco SKS

      Today, we took it a bit easy.  I cooked up 3 slabs of beef ribs on the smoker.




 Went in the garden and cut some okra off which made a nice first mess. Also picked another 8 tomatoes and some corn off that was decent for supper tonight. After all the clean up was done, went and cut some more okra before with did some pickled okra tonight, along with some pickles. I place half a Jalapeno, half a  Red Hot Chili Pepper, and half Banana pepper in each jar. Hope they aren't too hot but I shall find out.

3 jars of pickles and 4 jars of okra
  
      Well that's about it for the night. Going to relax a bit then head off to the grind of the work week. BTW, I have been thinking about this for a few days now, I think the UK leaving the EU is awesome. My mother was British and she did not like the EU from the start, mainly because it was run by Germany and they had control of the currency. I had asked her a question before she died of why Great Britain was still on the English Pound, she said because of the Germans and what the did through 2 world wars. I think I will take my mothers word, one who remembers of having to run, duck, and hide as a German fighter come down the road one day while she and others were walking home from school in SouthHampton strafing the road. She would have been 79 this year. Also, why is it that its only politicians and elite who are all upset about them leaving the EU. I know, MONEY AND POWER......

Senior


8 comments:

  1. Hyatt's is generally pretty pricey but have a good reputation around here. People can say what they want about Norinco but I have a 1911A1 made by them and in does pretty darn good. Making pickles this coming weekend. Regards Jeff C in NC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Boats, I have thought of Norinco as a decent brand, I don't know much about their 1911's but feel free to share you experience with them. If they are what I think they are, they are probably made using original Colt tooling. I know Rock Island and Citadel are basically the same brand, made in the same factory using original Colt tooling, I assume they Norinco is as well. I have a RIA 1911 and have had no complaints about it.

      Delete
  2. Senior,

    They're a few gun shops we will stop in when up in the big city just to see if they're new things in the display cases or on the shelves. We keep this running list of items we would like to have so if we come across it, and it's a great price we snatch it up. The last time we went to Cabela's we picked up 2 Ruger 380's automatics for $189 each.

    Great finds at the estate sale!!! Happy Birthday NW!!! And congratulations ND.

    Your ribs looks amazingly delicious.......or shall I say finger licking good :-)

    Love and hugs to you, JUGM, and your Boys.
    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we lucked out on the purchases. Met some really cool people too and got some good intel of the surrounding areas. Thanks for the gifts you sent to the boys, they loved them. They have them in their pockets as I type. You and Bull Dog Man did an outstanding job in your selection. I too have a running list and whenever I can pick up one thing here and there, I do it. It's great to have a spouse who thinks like I do and know current market conditions. How's the camper shopping going?

      Delete
  3. Drooling over here, and those were some good buys on those two guns! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, shipmate I lucked out. I couldn't pass the SKS up, and it was great to have JUGM know that it was a good deal before I suggested it to her. Come'on back to SC, I'll cook some up

      Delete
  4. I like the Norinco SKS. I remember back in the eighties, when they were selling for around $75.00. First, people said they were made in the back yards of chinese houses out of no good steel, which was utter nonsense. The other thing was all the gnashing of teeth and rending of garments by the left, who said these were "the weapons of chose for black and hispanic gangs. That was BS because they were pretty hard to stuff down your pants when all you were wearing was a tank top and shorts, the de rigieur outfit for gang members in those days.

    I've got a couple of the little sks carbines Nornico made, styled "paratroopers" although they were never issued to military units, they were just for commercial sales.

    You can't go wrong with an SKS.

    Looks like life is treating you and the family well. Glad to hear it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, you cant go wrong with a SKS, I don"t think I have heard anything negative about their functionality. They may be ugly, but they work. As with any gun grabbing attempt, the prices shoot up, just look at the Mosin's over the past two years.

    ReplyDelete